Saturday 22 September 2012

Drawing is Seeing

Drawing is Seeing

Intro
In my early teens (that's quite a few years ago if you have to ask) back when I took my first steps into the wonderful world of art, I had in my possession a danish art book with a title going something like this: "Drawing is Seeing". Being young and impatient I never quite understood the essence of what the title was trying to pass along. Had I only read the book rather than just looking at the drawings inside, and had I only understood what the author was trying to tell me, I might have been a more skilled artist today. Later it turned out not to be such a mystery as I (wisened by age) realized what the book was actually trying to teach me. Ironically, given it's title, it never opened my eyes back then, a mistake that needn't be repeated by hopeful new artists. I therefore strongly recommend that you read this short tutorial as it contains one of the most important elements of being a serious and ambitious artist.
Picture It
Image Source/Copyright: SXC.hu Take a look at the picture of the young girl on the right. In just a fraction of a second your mind will process and interpret the information of the picture. After just glancing at it you could most likely point out and recognize the face in the picture amongst thousands of other faces with ease. All by memory. That's because your mind has processed countless of different faces throughout your life and is trained and able to distinguish between each and every one of them.
So having done this many times before you've become naturally more skilled at doing it. Here is the problem. The human mind is lazy. It takes shortcuts, ignores heaps of details and remembers only what is necessary. If you wish to recreate a face (or anything else) using nothing but pencils and paper you have to reverse things.
Reverse It
Here is an example. If you're looking at a face the interpretation of that particular face ha

No comments:

Post a Comment